Student Extension Policy
Student Extension, Incomplete or Leave of Absence - Policy 105
Students are required to complete 100 hours of engagement and preparation learning and 300 hours of internship (distance education). These hours are expected to be completed within the specified term in which students are enrolled.
However, should students encounter circumstances beyond their control the following options are provided.
- Extensions are to be approved on a limited basis only. If a student requests an extension, the following processes must occur:
- CPE and supervisory students discuss with their supervisor-educator the need for an extension.
- A formal request must be submitted using this form.
- Extensions cannot exceed 30 days.
- An incomplete (I) can only be granted in very special circumstances; otherwise, the student may qualify for a brief extension as approved by the Supervisor-Educator.
- Special circumstances include, e.g., hospitalization, severe illness, and long-term recovery (verification may be required) that preclude the student from completing course requirements and internship hours.
a. Students must have completed a minimum of 50% of the coursework and internship hours to receive an Incomplete.
b. Students must submit a written request (email) to the Supervisor-Educator requesting approval. The approval must be included in the student’s Populi. Once agreed upon the request, a maximum of 3 months can be granted within which the course requirements must be completed. Any request to allow for an incomplete beyond the 3 months must be approved by CPEI Executive Director.
c. Once the requirements have been completed within the agreed upon time, the student will be enrolled in the same course, but at mid-course to complete the remaining hours. At that time, the student’s grade will be changed from an “I” to a final grade.
- Tuition and Refunds for Incompletes:
a. Students that seek an Incomplete (I) but have not completed a minimum of 50% of their coursework and internship hours will be refunded tuition, enrollment and registration fees based on the standard refund policy and no academic credit awarded.
b. Students that seek an Incomplete (I) after completing a minimum of 50% of the coursework and internship hours by mid-course or beyond will have the funds applied to the next course when they are able to continue their training.
Military Leave of Absence
In accordance with the Federal and state laws any member of the military who is ordered to guard or federal duty may request a leave of absence unless they can fulfill the requirements of the courses as an online student. To request a military leave of absence, the following actions are required.
- Students must submit a copy of the military orders.
- Length of time requested must be approved by the supervisor-educator for approved request
- Based on the completed coursework and assignments, the students can opt for one of the following options:
a. Option #1: Students not enrolled in an online course versus a hybrid course may be given the option to continue their studies.
b. Option #2: Students that seek an Incomplete (I), but have not completed a minimum of 50% of their coursework and internship hours will be refunded tuition, enrollment and registration fees based on the standard refund policy and no academic credit awarded.
c. Option #3: Students seeking an Incomplete (I) after completing a minimum of 50% of the coursework and internship hours by mid-course or beyond will have the funds applied to the next course when they are able to continue their training.
- The supervisor-educator will submit a response to the Administrative Assistant using the required Populi form for decision approval.
- Copies of the actions are maintained in the student’s academic file.